Thursday, October 15, 2009

While home on October break, I decided I was going to make the most of my time and get some studying done. I was on a role until a very familiar guitar introduction caught my attention as it played during an episode of 90210 which my sister was watching. I recognized the song immediately to be "Many Shades of Black" by one of Jack White's many side bands, The Raconteurs. I was instantly bummed that such a great song was used in such as distasteful television program, but excited that such a song would be exposed to a new audience who probably needs a music makeover anyways. (I'm assuming if the rest of the viewers are anything like my baby sister, they swoon over the Jonas Brothers just as she does.)

As the first verse of the song was being sung, I realized that it was a female singing. I was a little taken aback considering that besides the voice singing the song, everything else about the song was identical to the original. Usually in the case of many covers, artists will change up the arrangement or do something to make their cover distinguishable from the original. Further listening allowed me to recognize the female voice to be Adele, last year's Grammy winner for Best New Artists (she beat out the Jos Bros). I of course Googled the song and found that it was not a cover, but a collaboration of the song with Adele and the Raconteurs.

Collaborations are so interesting because they take ideas for different people and really bring something new or different to the table that only one person may not be able to produce on their own. Just like our study guide using Wiki technology, we all are contributors reaching toward a common goal.

Collaborations in music are everywhere, and when done properly, are refreshing, interesting, and can produce some amazing sound.

I also loved that I was able to merely Google what I was looking for and find it instantly. I also love that "google" is now a verb...

So the song for the week...

"Many Shades of Black"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kok-ZmsTqQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JCYS7Wm0rI

The first link is the original Raconteurs cover. The second is the Adele/Raconteurs collaboration.
Oh ...and if the links don't work, just google them :)

Rock on.
Kimmy

1 comment:

  1. haha good taste kimmy. i love jack white too. im sure you've heard the dead weather, yes? check it if you havent.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7QSkI6My1g

    ReplyDelete